A proper winter warmer, slow cooker recipe right from Granny’s kitchen. Perfect for us busy mums. Just place everything in the slow cooker in the morning and it’s ready for when you come in at tea time.
- 2 backs of casserole veg - pre-made if available. I buy then for £1 at Asda
- a good handful of broth mix (where the dried peas etc are in the supermarket)
- 1 joint of gammon (any visible fat trimmed)
- half mug full of dried split peas
- 1 small potato cubed
- clean hankerchief
- The night before place the gammon in the slow cooker and cover with water.
- Then place the split peas and potato into the clean hankerchief and tie with some garden string
- Make sure there's enough space in the handkerchief for the peas to expand.
- Put on high heat overnight (for approx 8-9 hours)
- The next day, remove the ham and place to one side
- Remove the peas out of the hankerchief and put in a bowl. Mash with a fork making sure it's all blended well and smooth.
- Leave the stock in the slow cooker and place your broth mix and vegetables into it and leave to cook on high for about 8 hours. Make sure it's covered well with water. Add boiling water if you need to.
- When the vegetables are well cooked, serve with the gammon and peas pudding